March for Life 2018 – Hibernian FAQ’s
UPDATE 01/02/18: The Hibernian Mass has been cancelled due to scheduling conflicts at the host parish. Please see available Mass opportunities below.
UPDATE 12/10/17: Due to security precautions ordered by the NPS, the “March for Life” Rally will take place at noon at 12th St. on the National Mall, in between Madison Drive and Jefferson Drive. The March will begin on Constitution Avenue between 12th and 14th Streets at approximately 1:00 pm.
Each January, tens of thousands of Americans converge on the nation’s capital to march for the most vulnerable among us. Friday, January 19, 2018 will mark the 45th March for Life and once more Hibernians from across the country will stand as witness.
The morning of the march, the District of Columbia State Board hosts an annual Hibernian Mass and Breakfast at which attendees can hear from pro-life speakers and our National Officers. After a hot breakfast buffet, Hibernians gather at the Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (7th St & Penn Ave NW) in order to walk to the march route as a group.
As the date gets closer, and more information is released, stay updated by checking in with Pro-Life Chairman John Patrick Walsh (email@example.com).
Hibernian Social (closest Metro is Dupont Circle)
For those Hibernians who are in town, there is an opportunity for fellowship Thursday evening (January 18, 2018). Brothers and sisters are invited to grab a meal and drinks at the James Hoban Pub (1 Dupont Circle NW, Washington, DC 20036) starting around 6:30pm. The pub is located off the Dupont Circle metro stop (Red Line).
Hibernian Mass (subject to church availability)
UPDATE: Due to scheduling conflicts there will not be a Hibernian Mass in 2018. However, St. Mary Mother of God Church (727 5th Street NW) has multiple opportunities for Hibernians seeking to celebrate Holy Mass before the March:
Mass Schedule for January 19, 2018
- 7:30am: Young Adults from the Archdiocese of Washington.
- 8:30am: Institute of Christ the King. (Mass in the Extraordinary Form)
- 10:30am: John Paul The Great Academy and seminarians from Lafayette, Louisiana.
- 12:00noon: Our regular daily Mass
A recent addition to our day of activities, Hibernians are invited to gather Friday morning for a pro-life mass at St. Mary Mother of God Church (727 5th St NW). Pending church availability, mass takes place promptly at 9am, followed by our annual breakfast which is conveniently located across the street at the Irish Channel.
Pro-Life Breakfast (closest Metro is Chinatown/Gallery Place or Judiciary Square)
Our annual pre-march breakfast will take place 9:00am Friday morning at the Irish Channel Restaurant and Pub (500 H St NW). Join us for a hot breakfast buffet and speeches from our invited pro-life speakers, National Chairs, and Presidents of the AOH/LAOH. Cost is $25/pp, cash and checks (made out to DC AOH State Board) accepted.
After nourishing body and spirit, we will make our way to the GAR Memorial, where Hibernians are asked to gather by noon. From there we will head, as a group, to the rally starting line.
March For Life FAQs
What time does the March start? The March for Life Rally will take place at noon at 12th St. on the National Mall, in between Madison Drive and Jefferson Drive. Following the Rally, the March will begin on Constitution Avenue between 12th and 14th Streets at approximately 1:00 pm.
Where are Hibernians meeting and when? Hibernians will gather at the Grand Army of the Republic Memorial (7th St & Penn Ave NW) around noon in order to walk to the March starting point as a group. Closest Metro station is Archives/ Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter, located across the street from the GAR memorial.
We are arriving by bus, how will we meet up with you? All vehicle traffic relating to the March for Life is being routed to RFK Stadium, where participants will have to walk/taxi/metro to the march route. We recommend that larger groups of Hibernians, who come in by bus, use the Stadium/Armory Metro Station and travel to the AOH meet up location (time permitting).
*NOTE*: If you are planning to arrive by car or bus on Friday, January 19th, please factor traffic congestion by adding two (2) hours into your travel time. Locals will attest that DC rush hour is some of the worst in the nation due to overcrowded streets and a lack of high capacity roadways.
I plan to arrive Thursday, are there hotels you recommend? Unfortunately no room block exists, but hotel rooms close to the pro-life breakfast location are still available for under $160/night. It is recommended that Hibernians looking for hotels use travel websites like Trivago and TripAdvisor to find the best deals available. Use the Irish Channel address in your search for locations closest to our Hibernian activities.
How do I get around DC the day of the march? DC is a fairly walkable city, but Hibernians should consider their usual activity level (and the planned march) before deciding. Most locals make use of taxis (Uber and Lyft are available and often cheaper), which must accept cash/credit/debit, or the local metro system.
For those Hibernians planning to use the metro system, Metro urges participants to buy and load SmarTrip cards ahead of the event to avoid long lines at fare machines. More on purchasing SmarTrip cards for the event can he found at: http://www.wmata.com/fares/smartrip/.
- Have your metro card easily accessible, before you enter the station. Metro Stations are crowded during rush hour, and even more crowded on the March for Life, during rush hour.
- Keep in mind that in the Washington Metro system, you need to tap in and tap out of their faregates. One way to alleviate long lines, and avoid the frustration of fellow metro riders is to have your metro card ready, in your hand, before you enter the line for the faregate.
- You do not need to wait for the gates to close after the person in front of you walks through, just ensure you tap your card to the SmarTrip target and proceed through the gate. As you tap your card, the trip fare and your remaining balance will flash across the gate screen.
- Please ensure you have enough money on your card to exit the station. Fare machines inside the gates will only accept cash if your balance is low.
What Metro stops should I use?
- March/Rally starting line: Federal Triangle, Smithsonian, Metro Center.
- GAR Memorial: Archives/Navy Memorial/Penn Quarter.
- Pro-Life Breakfast: Gallery Place/Chinatown, Judiciary Square.
- Hibernian Social: Dupont Circle.